Whether you’re in charge of one truck or one hundred, you’re sure to feel the pinch of rising fuel costs. As the biggest variable in the trucking industry, the price of diesel has a huge impact on your bottom line. Here are six tried and true tips for improving fuel mileage, and as a result, profitability:
1) Tire inflation – even a couple of pounds low, and your fuel mileage will be impacted. According the US Environmental Protection Agency, for every two pounds that your tires are low, you will suffer a 1% decrease in fuel economy, and wear your tires out more quickly. Tire pressure should be checked when the tires are cold (before driving), and inflation should be carried out according to the specifications of the vehicle manufacturer.
2) Fuel Injectors – Fuel injected diesel engines don’t generally require a high degree of maintenance, but fuel deposits on injector tips can change the spray pattern in which fuel is delivered to the cylinders, causing combustion problems. If you notice excessive fuel consumption, difficulty starting, stalling, and hesitance, have your fuel injectors examined.
3) Lubrication – Synthetic oils offer better, more consistent lubrication than conventional oil, and last considerably longer (up to five times as long between changes). Cold weather starting will be improved, and decreased friction between pistons and cylinder walls will lead to better fuel economy.
4) Speed – As you drive faster, air resistance increases, lowering your truck’s fuel economy. Engines and transmissions are geared for best, most economical performance between 90-110 kilometers per hours.
5) Clean Air – A clogged air filtration system will negatively impact fuel economy in any vehicle. Regularly inspect your air filter, especially if your truck has been operated in dusty conditions (construction!) and replace it if it’s clogged. Don’t forget to clean your Mass Airflow Sensor at the same time.
6) A Truck Edition Diesel Control Module – Designed to improve both power ant torque output and fuel economy by providing real-time control of your vehicles engine based on sensor input, a control module can improve performance by up to30% while at the same time decreasing fuel consumption by 10%
Truck Edition control modules are powered by Western Turbo, Winnipeg’s leader in diesel engine performance. For more information, download the brochure or contact us by phone toll-free 1-800-665-7556.